LOD switching distance explained. . . (sort of)

More
19 years 6 months ago #11795 by Second Chance
Hi GrandpaTrout, we have chatted in quite a while.

Mip-maps are created by successively running a texture through a specially designed image filter that reduces the image's pixel dimensions while retaining the image quality. Generally, the image is reduced until it's dimensions are 0 x 0. The reason EoC uses a custom format is because it's offline mip-map filter is slow. From the EoC Texture File Format document:

The game will happily use IFF format textures if they are present, but the packed textures are used to decrease load times (compressing textures on the fly is expensive) and give better image quality, since the mipmaps can be generated offline using a slow but effective filter.

So yes, when the LW models are run through the converter the textures are automatically mip-mapped and embedded into the new texture sheets. I've tried running just textures through the converter but they won't go. They need to be attached to a model to convert. But mip-maps are everywhere these days, and I was thinking that the IFF image format might support them. But, if it did, then PS wouldn't bother to convert them into another, custom format.

However, all is not lost. It may be that we can still make our own mip-maps manually, either by embedding them into a useable image format or naming individual seperate mip-maps for a texture correctly. I've only just thought of this right now, so I'll need to look into it more. However, I can tell you right now that the EoC Texture File Format document explains how to convert IFF textures into the game's native texture format. And all it would take was someone who understands hex editing, image file formats and this document to write a simple program that does the conversion for you. Hint, hint ;)

I cannot stress enough how much better mip-mapped textures are for not wasting video memory and maintaining good framerates.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.