StarWars??

More
20 years 1 month ago #9509 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic StarWars??

It would be easier if someone posted and actually said "I want to fly the Y-Wing."

I want to fly the Y-Wing. There, how was that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 1 month ago #9511 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic StarWars??
I just wanted to repost this because of the poor press the Y-Wing has been getting lately.

This is supposedly from ILM themselves, can't get more canon than that. But do note the definition of the word medium. It compares the maneuverability of the old ships against that of the new ships (I guess they were making the Falcon less maneuverable than in ESB, since it isn't specified as Medium). But it doesn't mean that the X-Wing, Tie Fighter and Y-Wing all have the same maneuverability compared to each other. Just the same speed, which is specified.

Poor B-Wing, way down there with the Falcon.
Lol, if the Falcon has "Low" maneuverablility, I shutter to think what the A-Wing can do. :p

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
20 years 1 month ago #9513 by jumbo
Replied by jumbo on topic StarWars??
Its probably the games that gives us a bad impression of the Y wing. They always seems like a easier target to hit but perhaps more heavily armoured. I guess they wanted to put it between the X and B rather than similar to the X but with a more diverse loadout.

Jumbo

If the Y has a useful and complementary role the mod will be better with it in.

<font color=gold>[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id=gold>
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.

<font color="gold">[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id="gold">
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
<b>It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.</b>

More
20 years 4 weeks ago #9518 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic StarWars??
The B-Wing was intended for the heavy bomber roll: It would have some high blast radius, guided missiles (to get at docked ships in hangers or ships hidden in tunnel and hollow asteroids). It would also carry a few extremly powerfull unguided torpedoes against stations and carriers.
[^] and of course have an Ion Cannon as a disruptor gun.

From a balancing perspective, a ship like that would (have to) be fairly slow, so that it takes a while to go back to base and reload the missiles and torpedoes for a subsequent attack. That would give the station or carrier time to repair and the opponents time to regroup defenses as well as offer a possibility to intercept it.

The Y-Wing would do the job just as well and probably be less work for SecondChance than a B-Wing because the Y doesn't have S-Foils.

The amount of coding work necessary will be the same for both, because we're implementing the S-foils in the X-Wing anyhow and have the techniques and code for that.

We do have a concept for lots of interesting games/missions where only the Rebels have bombing capability but a Tie bomber would come in handy for the Imps too. ;)

Would it be less work to make a Y-Wing and a Tie Bomber? instead of the B-Wing [?]

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
20 years 4 weeks ago #9520 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic StarWars??
Well, actually I'm already working on the B-Wing. If anything, I thought the Y-Wing would be in addition to, not instead of. I don't mind making them both. I also wasn't really thinking about the role that they would play in the mod, so I guess it's probably not a bad idea to include a Tie Bomber in the lineup as well.

(My secret plan: If I build enough ships, eventually this will turn into a complete Star Wars total conversion game.)

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
20 years 3 weeks ago #9540 by They_HunGer
Replied by They_HunGer on topic StarWars??
I WANT TO FLY THE "Y-WING"!!!!!!!!!!
also tnx 2ndchance for the "2nd chance" u gave for the y-wing

There's only One oF us GetTing out HeRe aNd it w0nt be mE

~C.C. Rocks~