Graphics issues! (Flickering Textures, Warped Geo)

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #19985 by Thovian
Hello!

I've just recently gotten the GOG.com Independence War 2 executable, no disc. Everything seems to be in order, all the files look good. One thing that is, however, an issue, is the flickering textures!

The last time I played this game, it was on an ooold dell optiplex 270 with an ooold nvidia geforce card with xp. Now, I'm on an Asus i5 vivobook s550ca with integrated graphics running windows 8. I've done my research, got everything all hammered out. Low fps? Get rid of fullscreen, check. Flickering textures? Enabled static buffer in the flux, dropped shading levels, check. It was still there, but not as bad. However, the flickering went away entirely after I disabled fullscreen. But... something else entirely happened.

i.imgur.com/SWSUfZh.png

I'm not sure what is causing these weird texture meshes to warp and the geometry to freak out. I've tried different resolutions, different compatibility modes, everything. It wasn't this bad before I dropped it out of fullscreen.

Any ideas? I don't want to have to reinstall, mainly because that would mean I wouldn't learn the issue. And as a former IW2 modder, it's not in my nature to just let problems slide.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #19986 by Chessking
Eek! What is that! It appears to be HUD related, judging by how it the mesh is attached to the top-center HUD element and the contact list, with matching colors.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 5 months ago #19987 by Thovian
So it does! But it is everywhere, not only just in the hud. When I press f3 and go to orbital view all the meshes are extended and meshing together and all wonky, making monsters would of everything.

More
8 years 5 months ago #19988 by Chessking
I think Shmatzler will be the most help, since he knows how to tweak all sorts of things, and has the GOG version of the game.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 5 months ago #19989 by 7upMan
I have it too, but I never ever ran into those sorts of issues. I can only guess that this is due to the integrated graphics of your CPU. Intel CPUs have notoriously bad iGPU drivers (or maybe it's something with the hardware that the drivers can't fix?). I ran into these reports for other games, too, so it may not be solely related to I-War 2. Did you experience issues with other games as well?

More
8 years 5 months ago #19991 by Thovian
Nope! None at all. However, I did fix it by reinstalling the game and just transferring the mods and save files. I guess something may have been corrupted during installation.