file Game freezes

More
19 years 8 months ago #11269 by Crimson Hawk
Replied by Crimson Hawk on topic Game freezes
codec stuff? ran dxdiag and i have the directx version 9.0b . there were never problems like this with any other games...
already deleted the planet files too and reinstalled it several times from various cd roms... but i do live in germany ... we use the "," instead of the "." ... what do i have to do if thats the case??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 8 months ago #11272 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Game freezes
The problem was first discovered in reference to the MP game but now we know: the issue effects the SP game too. Here is an explanation:

mjrtom.bei.t-online.de/html/prob ... an_xp.html

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 8 months ago #11363 by Crimson Hawk
Replied by Crimson Hawk on topic Game freezes
ok reinstalled the game again after changing regional settings to usa/english settings... still doesnt work... tried instant action too but to my surprise this didnt work either. same problem... game runs for a sec then freezes. well i think i have to get along with the fact that i wont play it again :P but thanks for ur help

More
19 years 8 months ago #11366 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Game freezes
There is no reason to give up. The game runs just fine on the German version of XP.

Just re-reading your very first post:

i get the first frame and some engine sound and then it stops.

Do you get to the main Eoc Gui screen after the Particle Systems logo and the movie has played? Or, does it crash when the little box pops up that has the 2 buttons "play" and "cancel"?

What happens if you go into the install directory and double click the EdgeOfChaos.exe there?
Also, please excuse the stupid question, but: You do have the play disk in the CD tray and not the install disk?

Crashing can be a sound issue.
go into your flux.ini and change.
disable_sound = 0
to
disable_sound = 1
(Thats in the section [FcGame] near the top of the file.)
If the game runs after that, it's a sound issue.

There is another sound issue known in respect to the MP3 sound files. Look at the third post up from the bottom of this thread:

www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?T ... hichpage=2

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 7 months ago #11478 by fennyrules
Replied by fennyrules on topic Game freezes
I too have this problem. The game loads to the menu OK, but after the initial in game video it runs fine for a second and then freezes.

WinXP Pro SP1
AMD 750
384Mb Ram
Nvidia GeForce 440MX
Soundblaster Live 5.1

I also get exactly the same issue on my laptop:
WinXP Home SP1
Pentium-M 1.6GHz
512MB Ram
GeForce Go5200

From this and the original pose we can deduce:

Not a graphics driver issue.
Prob not sound issue.

Leaves us with: DX9, XP Patch, and most likely, some software we run, as my laptop and PC have almost identical setups.

I have McAfee Antivirus (v6 and v8), ZoneAlarm, Trillian and some other bits. Will post again if disabling any of them works.

More
19 years 7 months ago #11481 by fennyrules
Replied by fennyrules on topic Game freezes
Follow up:

changing sound_disabled from 0 to 1 in flux.ini and the game works (without sound obviously). Only thing on my laptop that may have installed codecs (AFAIK) is Windows Media Player 10 beta but I'm not removing it to find out. Will adjust my audio settings/codecs later.