Help! Crashing!

More
20 years 3 months ago #8467 by FlamingBallOFire
Replied by FlamingBallOFire on topic Help! Crashing!
Ok, well, I've installed DirectX 9, upgraded my VIA drivers, de-installed and re-installed witha clean registry, am running the patch, and I still lock early in the game. Would upgrading to a 128 mb video card make a difference, or do you experts think it's something else?

FBoF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8470 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Help! Crashing!
upgrading your graphic card isn't going to change anything if you have a technical problem on your system.

Make sure it isn't a sound problem first (thats often the cause of freezes). Change your flux ini to: sound disabled = 1 (make a backup of it first). Then run the game a while and see if the crashes still occur.

If sound isn't the problem, I would look at the ram. Sometimes older boards have trouble with 2 ram sticks (you seem to have a 128 and a 64 ram stick). For a start you could try to remove the 64 MB and just run it on 128 to see if the problem persists. (or alternativly just use the 64 mb ram but thats the minimum required for the game anyhow)

(More ram would give you a better preformance boost than more memory in the graphik card, and a 256 stick is cheaper than a 128 graphic card anyhow)

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 3 months ago #8477 by FlamingBallOFire
The sound card seems to be the culprit. I disabled the sound in the flux.ini file and haven't had a crash yet. Now, I need to get a new sound card that is compatible with EOC!

FBoF

More
20 years 3 months ago #8509 by jumbo
Replied by jumbo on topic Help! Crashing!
Have you tried reducing the hardware acceleration in
[Start Menu]
[Settings]
[Control Panel]
[Sounds and Multimedia]
[Audio Tab]
[Playback... Advanced]
[Performance Tab]
[Hardware Acceleration]... try setting it to none.
Its no wonder most people never find it! For other versions of windows than mine (Me) the path may be different.

Jumbo

<font color=gold>[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id=gold>
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.

<font color="gold">[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id="gold">
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
<b>It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.</b>

More
20 years 3 months ago #8532 by FlamingBallOFire
Thanks Jumbo! That did the trick! I wonder why it makes such a difference?

Now I just have to wait for my new joystick to really have some fun - although even using the keyboard it's much better with sound!

FBoF

More
20 years 3 months ago #8543 by jumbo
Replied by jumbo on topic Help! Crashing!
FBoF on my system it stops the crackling at the start of every sound, I had just installed a new audio card (instead of onboard CMedia) and was getting stuttering game play and very crunchy sound. I found out that my GeForce3 does not like sharing IRQs, it caused the stuttering which made the audio card look like the culprit. I had to remove my TV tuner card to free up an IRQ :(

Wish I knew why it did it.

Jumbo

<font color=gold>[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id=gold>
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.

<font color="gold">[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id="gold">
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
<b>It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.</b>