Help! Crashing!

More
20 years 3 months ago #17891 by FlamingBallOFire
I was wondering if anyone has had problems like mine and can suggest a fix. I was having intermittant crashes back to desktop, so I installed the latest driver for my video card (Nvida GeForce 2 MMX 400, 64 meg memory). Now I can't even get to Hoffer's Wake before the entire system locks and I have to hard boot. I'm running a FIC AZ11E mobo, 192 meg RAM, AMD 700 processor. Any suggestions? I've tried shutting down all anti virus, ZoneAlarm, screensavers, etc. No help.

FBoF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8338 by Sivadrake
Replied by Sivadrake on topic Help! Crashing!
you could try to change the graphics details in your game options, in my old pc i had crashes only when i set the graphic resolutions too high, other than that i dont think i can help much, have you changed any of your resource files? or have you messed with a mod you have running?

"Faith lies in the ways of sin"

"Dust to dust we're wired into sadness"

More
20 years 3 months ago #8341 by Tarcoon
Replied by Tarcoon on topic Help! Crashing!
Install DirectX 9.0 b (if necessary) and run DXDIAG - maybe you get some hints.
If it doesn't help - deinstall the game, clean registry and reinstall the game and patch 14.6.
In most cases it solves your problems...

There is no safe distance

More
20 years 3 months ago #8343 by FlamingBallOFire
Replied by FlamingBallOFire on topic Help! Crashing!
Thanks for the ideas. I'm not running any mods, but I will try scaling down the graphics. I installed DirectX9.0 last night, seemed to make things a bit worse. I am running the patch, so I guess I'll have to uninstall and reinstall.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8346 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Help! Crashing!
a known issue for that board is: "the power supply connecter might block airflow and could cause the CPU to overheat if you're cooling is marginal."

That could explain intermittant crashes. I would look into that first.
(open the case and make sure airflow isn't obstructed and the cooler fins aren't stuffed up with lint, dust and other yuckiness

Edit:
better grafic card drivers may well be consuming more power supply energy and more CPU power, and therefore generate more heat.
/Edit

Also if you have the newest nvidia and the newer DX 9.0 (make sure it's 9.0b) you also need the newest board drivers for your mobo.

if this information is correct for your motherboard

www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1354

You have a Via chipset and the fic homepage says you need these via 4 in 1 drivers:

www.fic.com.tw/support/motherboa ... r_via.aspx

try out the newer via 4 in 1 drivers. They are important because of the AGP driver interface to your grafic card.

(don't use the other drivers for onboard stuff that you apparently don't have)

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 3 months ago #8348 by FlamingBallOFire
Replied by FlamingBallOFire on topic Help! Crashing!
Well, cooling isn't an issue, Hardware monitor consistently reports cpu temps of less than 105 degrees, and board temps in the 80's.

The mobo drivers IS something I haven't thought of. I'll upgrade those as well and let you know. Thanks!

FBoF