Random missiles and fighters, please help!

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #18775 by gwzero
I have been making a variation of Gus man B's "MEGAfriegmod2" and I'm having some trouble with it, So far I've managed to add 6 large external weapon mounts and 6 fighter bays and allowed access to the engineering screen. But now I'm having problems with the old gun mounts that are setup as pylon cannon mount and the fighter bays. Every so often a random fighter or missile is launched. in the case of the missiles, this seems to occur anytime a target is selected and/or the autopilot is engaged. With the fighters it happen at random for a while and then only when an enemy it in sensor range. Does anyon know what this bug is and how to correct it?

<hr noshade size="1">Smith - "12 docking turrets, 15 quadpack launchers, 6 antimatter pbc's, and 2 turret fighters, all mounted on a megafreighter."

Cal - "Ya think that'll be enough? I mean we're just going to the store."

Smith - "You know you're right, I'd better mount on some antimatter streams."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #15062 by Shane
Oh yeah... I've had some battles with this one. ;)

IIRC, I finally decided the misfires were caused by having weapons on the craft which were not oriented on the Z+ axis. However, I was never able to pin it down exactly.

Always wondered how a model orientation problem could cause the AI to fire weapons. Just doesn't feel right, eh?

Orient all weapons to fire along the Z+ axis and see if the problem goes away. If it does not, please post. I'd be very interested in tracking this particular bug down.

Good luck. :)

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #15069 by gwzero
Heres what I've got for one set of the fighter bays and hardpoints, what do you think would work best?

AddNullObject fighter_bay01A
ShowObject 7 7
ObjectMotion (unnamed)
0 60 2 180 -90 0 1 1 1
(fighter_bay01B = -51.9615 -30 2 -90 30 90 1 1 1)
(fighter_bay01C = 51.9615 -30 2 90 30 -90 1 1 1)
0 0 0 0 0
EndBehavior 1
ShadowOptions 7

AddNullObject gun_01A
ShowObject 7 7
ObjectMotion (unnamed)
0 -75 -166 180 180 0 1 1 1
(gun_01B = -66.9615 41 -166 180 180 240 1 1 1)
(gun_01C = 66.9615 41 -166 -180 180 -240 1 1 1)
0 0 0 0 0
EndBehavior 1
ShadowOptions 7

I've also noticed that most of the time the launchers wont auto-fire in autopilot at all unless I fire off the first fighter or missile. However, the fighters will still launch in the presents of an enemy even without me firing off the first shot. And if I dont fire the entire amount of fighters/missiles before one does automatically then I will be unable to use about half of what is left. It's almost as if they were being reserved as countermeasures.

I hope I'm not giving you too much information here, I just thought it would help if you knew all the details.

<hr noshade size="1">Smith - "12 docking turrets, 15 quadpack launchers, 6 antimatter pbc's, and 2 turret fighters, all mounted on a megafreighter."

More
18 years 1 week ago #15072 by gwzero
You know what, it would probably be easier if you just took a look at what I've got so far. So heres a link to download my current testing version.
newarzone.low-ping.com/user/30391/files/MegaFreightmod3.zip

<hr noshade size="1">

Smith - "12 assault cannon turrets, 15 quadpack launchers, 6 antimatter pbc's, and 30+ fighters in 6 bays, all mounted on a megafreighter."

Smith - "You know you're right, I better add on some more antimatter pbc's."

More
18 years 1 week ago #15073 by Shane
Not sure if you have Lightwave 5.6 or not. But this is where you're getting a problem:

0 -75 -166 180 180 0 1 1 1

The first three numbers are position (in this case, 0 meters on the X axis, -75 meters on the Y axis, and -166 meters on the Z axis). The second three are rotational values. These should all be zeros. That keeps the weapon firing towards the positive Z axis. With the current settings, your weapons are firing towards the negative Z axis.

Try changing these values and see if the problem goes away. My work gears up heavily during the spring, so I probably won't get a chance to look over your mod until sometime this weekend.

More
18 years 1 week ago #15074 by gwzero
No I dont have lightwave, I've done all of this with just notepad. And all of the positioning numbers are unchanged from what is in the original MEGAfriegmod2 files. I tried setting the rotational values to 0, but that only made the missiles fire upwards with 1 of them having to fire through the ship itself. The idea is to have the guns and missiles firing 90 degrees from the surfaces that they are mounted on. The problem is that two of the surfaces are at an angle. Where I have the fighters at right now is working just as it should, I just used the angles of the cargo mounts to get the results I needed. But I can wait a little while if you want to look over what I've got so far.

Smith - "12 assault cannon turrets, 15 quadpack launchers, 6 antimatter pbc's, and 30+ fighters in 6 bays, all mounted on a megafreighter."

Smith - "You know you're right, I better add on some more antimatter pbc's."