An idea for Imperial weapons

More
18 years 9 months ago #13396 by Second Chance

Jitter is a static value in Flux.

Didn't realize that. Oh well. But it the idea still works without it.

BTW: you don't have to let a Quad deriviate fire several bolts at the same time if you don't want it to.

???? The quad light bolt setup has several bolts in the scene file. They all fire as one shot no matter what you do.

The bolts should be different so the player has some visual feedback.

Even if the guns were shooting raisins, if the player can't tell the difference between rapid-fire and single-shot, then there's something seriously wrong with them.

The bolts I made are already the right size, speed, and timed correctly to not overlap.

You can work with the arc but a narrow arc only means you won't get a target lock unless you are pointed directly (within the given angle) at the target.

Yes, that's the point. Otherwise, what advantage would the single-shot mode have at long range? (You know, some games don't have any firing arc. You actually have to work to point the ship at the target lead indicator, just like a real aircraft.)

Concept-
Long Range Mode: Wider firing arc means more opportunity to fire at ships with better manuverability, moving cross-grain to your movement, etc. Provides an advantage when fighting at a distance.

Short Range Mode: Spitting out more bolts per second within a narrow arc means a better chance to land a hit within a small area, especially on someone you're tailing (relatively) closely. Provides an advantage when fighting up close.

Neither mode precludes it's use at the other distance, but each is better suited for what it's meant for. Meaning; the player can choose to always use his prefered fighting style or swap between them. Whatever he feels is appropriate.

Anyway, it was just an idea. I was trying to rationalize the existence of the two firing modes seen in the movies through the mod. I thought it would add some coolness and variety to the game.

Why don't we leave the theory level and just do it the easy way: use a single gun for the one mode mounted on one of the nulls and two guns (one on each null) for the rapid mode?

How is this "the easy way"?

The X-Wing does have a linked mode too doesn't it?

Apparently it does not.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #13416 by MajorTom

???? The quad light bolt setup has several bolts in the scene file. They all fire as one shot no matter what you do.

You can just delete some of the bolts out of the scene file and only leave one or two.
Thats a method we used on the what_rocks and EpicOnline mods to create new weapons that still had some of the charachteristics of the quad light.

Your concept is just fine, and I'm glad you're rationalizing the idea.
We can do that "easily" because the Tie currently has two different guns using two different weapon .ini files with different rire rates and ranges. So, we can tweak the bolt half_life times, range, refire_rate and arc differently per weapon. We just need to mount only one (instead of a pair) for the long range laser.

I still seems to me however that the bolt from a long range laser, though it may be the same color, would/should look different than the bolt from a short range laser? It's nothing to argue about though. We should put it in the game and just look an see how it 'feels'.

Over in the XWA forum poeple were talking about using a "Full Blast" (linked?) mode on the X-Wing. They said a single shot would destroy a Tie but it depleated the charge completly.
The problem is if the X-Wing has more than just the 4 main guns they too would be unlinked. Historically all MP ships have linked weapons, it may be possible to link weapons ship specifically, but I dunno for sure. It would be a special case to have one with unlinked weapons (while the others with) and definately make the pog script more complicated (if it works at all).

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
18 years 9 months ago #13422 by Second Chance
Lol! Of course you can change the lws scene file, but then it's not a quad light bolt anymore. So why not just make a new one with the proper lighting, textures and sizing to begin with? As I did with the turbo lasers I gave you.

Of course I agree everything needs to be tested in-game before being decided upon. This is just the idea stage.

Why do we need to mount only one long range gun, instead of the normal pair? That makes no sense. There still needs to be two bolts.

The idea for the X-Wing sounds interesting. Is it possible to deplete all energy after a linked shot?

More
18 years 8 months ago #13471 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Second Chance

The idea for the X-Wing sounds interesting. Is it possible to deplete all energy after a linked shot?

Yes it is possible. The Javalin ship in what_rocksV2 did just that.
You have to tweak the weapons energy consumption and adjust the output of the powerplant.

Thanks for the two guns you sent per email. We need to try them out in a game under dynamic conditions.

More
18 years 8 months ago #13482 by MajorTom
I just noticed something about the guns you made for Rebel Laser and the TieF:
Somehow the bolts on both the IMP and REB lasers are showing odd behavior. When you are farther than 2,6 km away from an object you don't see them coming out of the gun from the players 1st person view.

I dunno why, but it is definatley an issue in relationship to the distance to another sim object. Closer than 2.6 km the bolt on the rebel MK1 looks good but the one on the Imp lasers you sent are just short fat cylinders and look kinda wierd. Can you figure out whats going on there? It would be important to find out why for future reference. We may be on to something valuable for future bolt designs here.

Edit:
I sent you an E-Mail with some other issues on the weapon design.

More
18 years 8 months ago #13493 by Second Chance
Thanks MajorTom, I'll get to work on that right away.