one old, long not asked question

More
20 years 2 weeks ago #18024 by Runner
Well, some two or more years ago I found this neat little forum and hoped for the epic mod ever to be released. Now, two years later I stumbled over that forum again and remembered... Well, where's the release? I mean, it's I think three years now or somesuch that this thing is development, or isn't it?!

cya, Runner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 weeks ago #9514 by Second Chance

one old, long not asked question

Hmmm, actually Diabalito just asked that question a week or two ago.

And GrandpaTrout posted about an update the day after.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
20 years 2 weeks ago #9516 by Runner
Ahh, sorry, didn't see that old topic, or rather the topic title DOW didn't tell me what the question really would be ;-)
And anyway, since I didn't visit these forums for such a long time I didn't want to wade through all the stuff written here. This is because I again would begin to hope that Dark Current(as I know now) would be released somewhere soon which I simply don't believe to happen anywhere soon (despite the update from you, GrandPatrout!). But let's see ;-)

More
20 years 2 weeks ago #9522 by GrandpaTrout
It's a fair doubt. I won't deny it. The project has been underway about 20 months. About 16 staff/months effort expended. Typical software development would be about 8,000 lines of non-comment non-blank code in that time period for that level of staff. Rough guess (I don't have code tracking tools for POG) would offer nearly double or greater that total amount written in Epic today.

I don't feel badly about doubling expected work output. While learning a new programming language. In a new domain of work. Trying features that two commercial releases last year did not achieve. So while I am not happy with the progress, I can't say I feel "slow".

I will be sorry if there is no one left to play the game. But I have to say it has been great fun to build. I have been working on the building and destruction of stations this week. Today I am cementing together the pieces so that if a rebel force destroys the ruling capitol - the effect recurses down through the government, breaking it into warring factions. Pretty damn cool actually.

Of course it would be even cooler if you learned lightwave and helped. Or became famous for building a graphic version of the geography tool. Or dusted off those unused skills as a space landscape architect and created enviroments around stations, asteroids against the sunset, dusty ice rings, and drifting whisps of vented atmosphere lost in war.

Or learn some pog. We had a great discussion on trade space sims over on INA (before delete) and I would love to see a sort of "Racing" sim added to Epic capsule jumps to make trade careers and scouting careers less dull.

Or think up (and code) a cool mini game for prospecting planets from space. Something that can be interesting for a scout character to do while searching new star systems. Something involving thermal planet scans, and other cool sensors. (POG GUI handles bitmaps (*.iff) just fine. They can even overlay each other.)

Many, many things to do. Don't make me bring out my old grandmothers favorite phrase "If you have time to complain, you have time to read the POG SDK". (she was always ahead of her time...)

-Gtrout

More
20 years 2 weeks ago #9524 by Runner
ol' GP, you remain to your good ol' style and humour, that's good to see ;-)

Offering help from my side would be dishonest, since I am only a programmer, so no art at all. And a scientist as well, so no useful programming :P And writing my phd thesis, so no time finally.

...and a linguist as well, so the only thing I could do, would be some chatterbot or somesuch to hail pilots in space and actually talk to them, not have some predefined answers. But this feature would never work properly (really!), would need a huge amount of effort and data (means large downloadsizes) and be so uncommon, no one would probably even notice... ;-/

But I would really enjoy playing that mod, so I am trying to at least assure you that there would be one player left apart from yourself! ;-)

More
20 years 2 weeks ago #9531 by mdvalley
I’ve worked on the geography some. Colored the stars, redid the LWS backgrounds, etc. You can now see all of the other stars of the Middle States from the other stars, and identify them if you try hard enough. (Hint: Epitaph and Akra are the two brightest stars in every other system. For the others, just LDS towards them and see what direction you go on the starmap.) If you’re interested, I can email my middlestates.zip file to you.

BTW-Is LDS going to be scaled down to around the speed of light? If so, I’m going to have to add a lot more local L-Points.