Unknown Mission - need help

More
18 years 10 months ago #18467 by Galengil
Hey there!

Sadly, I encountered an unknown (at least I could not find any tips related to this) after finishing the first Marauder's quest in Act 1. In stead of stealing Gunstar codes (I think it is mission #6), I am meeting up with the Stepsons and sent with 4 sidekick Tug spaceships to destroy the Marauders' Base, where 4 or 5 Marauder Corvette is guarding a space station (with many cannons) and a Gunstar.

I don't know what to do here and now, My Tug is not that well equiped, neither my Turret Fighters, so, generally I suck. One more thing: when I approach the Marauders (around 30-40 km) Clay tells me to have a look around. There are some cargo pods floating a bit aside, but I cannot get them, because Jaf won't come (enemies at close range), also they are in the Gunstar's range. Sometimes I recieve an SOS call too, but I haven't checked them so far, since my Stepson sidekicks will leave me then shortly.

What should I do? Should I capture more equipment for my ship or is this shady mission solvable with the Tug? Is there any trick here? I managed to clear the are from Corvettes easily, but I can't do a thing with the two firing space objects.

The best weapon layout I could muster so far: Quad Light PBCs, Seeker, Disruptor, LDSi Missiles, also Hammer, Gnat, Harrower. My turrets are on Standard Layout (1.: Heavy PBC & Seeker, 2.: Rapid PBC & Seeker)

Thanks a lot!

The Immortal Olden

The Immortal Olden

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13213 by andrewas
Those pods contain highly explosive objects - neutron warheads and such. They are supposed to be out of range of the defence guns - or at least some of them are. Anyway, you need one of those pods. Get up to speed with the pod in tow, and get onto a collision course with the station, drop your bomb and make sure not to ram the station on your way out.

Failing that, when I did this with Station Assault and EliteMod installed, the Heavy PBC was just barely capable of outranging the defence guns, though the AI didnt realise this and I had to fire it manualy. Its a long slog to take down that station, but in the end, it will go down. Be sure to collect the remaining pods afterwards.

The SoS calls are not associated with this mission, if you get one when you have no pressing business, you can follow them and, well, you *could* rescue some civilian ships from the marauders, but its more profitable to stand clear and collect the cargo afterwards. Your choice. Its not generaly high value cargo anyway.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13216 by Galengil
No wonder the AI does not realize this range-thing. It took me 30 mins to take down the station and the gunstar. In fact, I left a book to press down the [Space] button and watched TV. [8D]

Thank you for your help, I was able to secure all of the cargo pds as well. :D

The Immortal Olden

The Immortal Olden