Missions

More
20 years 11 months ago #17765 by Diablito
Missions was created by Diablito
I was wondering why there are so many user-made mission scripts for I-War 1 and nada for I-War 2. Gold for I-War1 Green for I-War2

"Your ship has been disrupted for a routine check......"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 11 months ago #6100 by Diablito
Replied by Diablito on topic Missions
OK[}:)]

More
20 years 11 months ago #6101 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Missions
You're not being ignored Diablito. :D We have no idea.

I can theorize...;)

Perhaps the SDK tools created for I-War do not allow for much more than mission scripting? Perhaps people were so distracted by the really neat systems they could create on EoC mods that they did not focus on the missions?

Perhaps it's just a matter of time, and EoC modders are just now turning to mission scripts?

No confusion; just wrong or right ... Only Solutions

More
20 years 11 months ago #6112 by Diablito
Replied by Diablito on topic Missions
Good theory:D is their a tutorial on scripting and does it take some knowlegde of programming. The last time i did any actual programming was " If yes goto 11" on my commodore 64 about 20 years ago! I figure its a little more complicated than that nowadays[}:)]Thanks for responding Shane.

More
20 years 11 months ago #6121 by Stephen Robertson PS
Replied by Stephen Robertson PS on topic Missions
I-War's scripting language was simpler than I-War 2's. You didn't need to compile it, and it was tailored specifically for doing space missions. You didn't need a lot of programming know-how to use it. Its also easy to integrate into the game.

I-War 2's pog language is more complex and much more flexible and general purpose, and requires more programming know-how, - plus you have to compile it. It takes a bit of work to get it into the game.

So in effect it's more difficult to develop missions for I-War 2 than I-War 1, but missions can be much more complex in I-War 2.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
Particle Systems
Independence War Website

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
I-War series co-designer.

More
20 years 11 months ago #6124 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic Missions

is their a tutorial on scripting and does it take some knowlegde of programming.

Yes and yes. It's the Mission Tutorial, available on this site. The prior knowledge needed is that you need a little big of generic C type programming knowledge. Just the very, very basics are necessary. Then you need to download the POG SDK, and skim through it. Then you're ready for the tutorial.