If there will ever be I-War 3...

More
8 years 7 months ago #19852 by 7upMan

d3rt13n wrote: Here is my list of spacegames that bring back memories besides I-War 2:

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, Homeworld 1 and 2, Tachyon: The Fringe, Privateer 2: The Darkening. and to a lesser extent Starlancer.
I am keeping an eye out for Enemy Starfighter since the visuals in that game really appeal to me.

Yes, I agree that Nexus: The Jupiter Incident and Homeworld 1 + 2 were visual and story-wise masterpieces. That was the time when story and presentation did count for something. I'd like to add Freelancer to the list, which I think is worth mentioning as well.

Anyway, what I always wanted to ask: Oolite does not have Newtonian physics?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #19854 by d3rt13n
Since Oolite is a opensource version of the first Elite, not Elite Frontier, or First Encounter it does not sport the Newtonian Physics alas. Since it came out on the BBC micro first and 3d rendering was non existent, it wouldn't have made sense to include that in the engine. Elite was the first "3D" game so to speak, but it was all wireframe graphics and the FPS rate was horrible, at least on my version on the C64, that was before there were PC's the Commodore 64, which was the forefather of the Amiga, if that rings any bells.

Someone in the community might have created an .oxp (modification pack) to emulate Newtonian physics but out of the box, no its like Freelancer.

If you want elite and the retro looking stuff you should pay a visit to the frontier astro website, you can download all old Elite games there and some remakes too.

www.frontierastro.co.uk/

More
8 years 6 months ago #19884 by AdmiralZeratul
Despite being from a younger generation (I'm 21), I actually prefer to play games offline too. If there's one thing I hate, it's the feeling of needing to login to a game just because my guildmates/teammates/whatever are there. If I want to talk to people, I'll just message someone on Skype or visit a forum, like this one for instance. :lol:

Overthinking is kind of a habit of mine.