What's with the turrets fighters?

More
19 years 6 months ago #18294 by Ilmarinen
Hi!

I started playing this wonderful game only a while ago, and have just got the turret fighters. Now what I'd like to know is if there's an explanation for the following, or is it just a bug/bad feature: the encyclopedia says the TFs rely on the host ship in that they don't have LDS capabilities. Clearly the TFs are as LDS capable as any ship for they follow me and other ships through LDS sprints when detached. Is the fact that they must be attached when launching just an excuse so that you must waste two hardpoints when taking your TFs for a spin?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 6 months ago #11920 by Hot4Darmat
Hi and welcome to the forum. I just started another replay the other night myself, and was reminded again of what a great game I-War2 is.

The turret fighters are widely viewed as pretty much useless. They're useful for a mission or two, but mostly they're window dressing and give Lori and Az a raison d'etre. This view is not held by all, as some people loved 'em, but I steered clear of them, and put those hard points to much better use once I realized how little bang I was getting for my buck.

The Encyclopedia entry is just one minor lapse in logic. I also found it astonishing how, whenever they got totally and utterly blowed up, Lori or Az would always somehow manage to find their way home after apparently ejecting in a very timely fashion.

Still, it was sometimes fun to have the gunbabes along just to hear their quips.

Maybe someone who thought the TFs were an indisputable asset should chime in...
--
Hot4Darmat

More
19 years 5 months ago #11930 by Phatose
Generally, I used the TF's as turrets. Give Az and Lori the best PBC available, then set em to fire at will, and they lay down cover fire on smaller ships while I focus on bringing my cutting beams to bear against harder targets. They're suprisingly effective at suppressing fighters, letting me turn the patcoms, vettes and capships into sausages. Then, we get to play a fun game of 'who will kill the fighter first? my beam or their guns?'