I-War 2, EOC, 2-D

More
7 years 9 months ago #20247 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic I-War 2, EOC, 2-D
I-War2 isn't a perfect simulator, sadly. I can program a more realistic thruster model than the game has in one day. But you have to remember that not only did they code the engine themselves, it's the same engine I-War1 has. That game was made by 6 people at a time when hardware was rather pathetic. They just spiffied up the engine's graphics and fixed bugs to get the I-War2 version of the engine.

I just looked at that docs section, and it's just a copy-paste of the game's encyclopedia. The size values may be correct or not, but I'm not trusting the mass values. Look at the cruisers section.
Danube cruiser: length 991 meters. mass 277,480
Corporate cruiser: length 500 meters. mass 686,812
Say wut? :blink: That don't sound right. Ever since I noticed that when I was trawling the encyclopedia back in '05, I've never taken its stats seriously.

I do know this though. The mass of a ship is calculated from the collider, and is an exposed variable accessible by modders. You could write a .pog script to read a ship's mass and output it to the log or something.

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #20248 by Chessking
Replied by Chessking on topic I-War 2, EOC, 2-D
Thanks for the info.

I have noticed one of the improvements of the I-War 2 physics engine. In I-War 2, when you collide with another ship, you spin out of control. In I-War 1, one of the ships blew up. :P

P.S. I can code a thruster system in one day as well, now that I have done it and can reuse some code.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
7 years 7 months ago #20326 by Chessking
I have finally finished working the bugs out of the autopilot approach script. Here is a video of a bunch of ships following each other around. It feels good to see it working so well.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
7 years 4 months ago #20491 by IronyMan
Replied by IronyMan on topic I-War 2, EOC, 2-D
Aye, looks great. I'm sorry I haven't been on here earlier, but this might help:
ironyman777.github.io/
github.com/IronyMan777/IronyMan777.github.io

This is a project I wrote in JS long ago using images and a simple animation script I wrote myself. Read the code in Data/main.js at line 60; that's the animation.

Let me know if you want me to explain it; I'm a horribly messy and inefficient coder. Just thought this might help, what with being able to use images instead of using KA to program little boxes and lines.

More
7 years 4 months ago #20492 by Chessking
Thanks for the links IronyMan. I have not had a need for such animations yet, but I probably will. And when I do, your example may come in handy. It is nice to know someone else from here is familiar with Processing.js.

Storm Petrel