New game mode suggestion

More
19 years 8 months ago #18214 by Second Chance
Hey, we don't have a capture the flag option, right? How about adding one? Either now or in the expansion. KILLER217 at the atari forum made a post asking for help and the post title was "Capture the Accelerator." Is that an awsome name for an EoC version of "Capture the Flag" or what? I don't know, I just thought it sounded so cool and funny when I read it that I had to make the suggestion. :)

Think about it.

Capture the Accelerator

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 8 months ago #11442 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic New game mode suggestion
The original I-War2 MP had/has a Capture the Flag game.

It wasn't too popular. It's kinda odd to play that mode in a ship, as opposed to first person type games.
You had to fly into the right flag (your flag) which attached itself to your ship and then use F8 to dock with your base to get points. Apparently most of the people couldn't figure out how to play it. As a result, it was easy to win due to other players ignorance of the game rules.

I guess thats the major problem in MP: All games have to be as self-explanitory as possible and more or less completely intuitive.

Which brings up an idea:
We could perhaps have a voiceover, (done by "Obi Wan" or "Darth Vader") using iConversation functions, that explains the game briefly in a cutscene like manner when you join the first time?
That might be interesseting for the coop games we have now.

For CTF, I dunno: The capture part of the original CTF game worked without a hitch. I could grab the pog functions off it and integrate them into one of our scripts with a couple of days work. But, based on previous popularity I don't really think it would be worth the work. (We would need to change scoring and modify the current docking for repairs stuff.)

What other options do we have for a Capture the Accelerator game? We already have a team Assault type game. Instead of blowing up the enemy station we could place an "Accelerator" there and make it so everyone on the opposing team has to be docked to the "Accelerator" simultanously? Or what?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 8 months ago #11443 by Second Chance
A voice-over cutscene would be extremely cool.

I don't know what kind of gameplay you might want to integrate. I just think Capture the Accelerator sounds so cool. I wouldn't even really care what kind of game it was, just the name makes me want to play it. :)

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4