All Weapon Issues - Post Here

More
19 years 9 months ago #18171 by Second Chance
The weapons make up 50% of the game, so they should have their own thread. Discuss all matters dealing with weapons here; including operation, functionality and balancing.

So,

Ok MajorTom, after playing the mod for a while I see what you mean about the Tie Fighter chin guns being too close together. The only solutions I can think of are:
  • Leave them as they are (they look ok with the narrow FOV)
  • Have them fire in sequence instead of linked. It's not the right way they should fire, I know. So I vote for number 1.

Also, they (the chin guns) should fire much faster (but this could be because I'm getting crappy frame-rates in MP and not the guns themselves).

I also seem to be taking damage and getting destroyed without being hit. There are no sounds or vibrations of weapon impacts, yet I keep mysteriously taking damage and getting destroyed. Is anyone else experiencing this?

The fighter explosions are definitely way too damaging. You shouldn't take half your hits in damage from an explosion. Fighters are tiny, and should make tiny explosions.

The Ion Cannons should never be automatically selected. Every time I respawn in the Tie Interceptor I have to reselect my desired weapon because it resets to Ion Cannons. Isn't there a way to track the last used weapon and auto-select it for the player on respawn? I hate misusing my limited supply of Ions(?) because of this.

<font size="1">(Reprinted from another post)</font id="size1">
I suggest getting rid of fighter-to-fighter missile weapons. They are annoying because, really, they have to destroy you in one hit (or they would have no value against other targets). And not once, in all three original movies, did anyone ever shoot down another craft with missiles. Despite what anyone may say to the contrary, proton torpedoes have only ever been used against stationary targets. And I had never even heard the term concussion missiles until the SW RPG came out. I suggest making the fighter torpedoes more assault oriented than dog-fight oriented.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #10919 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Second Chance

The weapons make up 50% of the game, so they should have their own thread. Discuss all matters dealing with weapons here; including operation, functionality and balancing.

So,

Ok MajorTom, after playing the mod for a while I see what you mean about the Tie Fighter chin guns being too close together. The only solutions I can think of are:

• Leave them as they are (they look ok with the narrow FOV)
  • Have them fire in sequence instead of linked. It's not the right way they should fire, I know. So I vote for number 1.

Also, they (the chin guns) should fire much faster (but this could be because I'm getting crappy frame-rates in MP and not the guns themselves).

Using the narrower FOV, isn't an option. (see the other thread)

We can leave the gun barrels where they are, but move the nulls on the Tie a little further out from the middle of the model? say 2 or 3 pixels in each direction.
I'll try that out by editing the .lws. The fire position as seen from the outside probably won't be noticable but the pilots view should be a lot better.

The fire rate of the 2 lasers are 5 shots per sec. and 4 shots per sec. Are you getting roughly that?

I also seem to be taking damage and getting destroyed without being hit. There are no sounds or vibrations of weapon impacts, yet I keep mysteriously taking damage and getting destroyed. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Which ship was firing at you when this happened? Were you perhaps taking damage from Station fire? (I haven't tweaked those bolts yet)

The fighter explosions are definitely way too damaging. You shouldn't take half your hits in damage from an explosion. Fighters are tiny, and should make tiny explosions.

This has nothing to do with weapons, but we can look at it here too.
What ship was it and how close were you to it? Hmmm, I've never taken more than 3 to 5% damage from an exploding ship. Lol, you don't have to fly into the explosion, you can dodge it.

The Ion Cannons should never be automatically selected. Every time I respawn in the Tie Interceptor I have to reselect my desired weapon because it resets to Ion Cannons. Isn't there a way to track the last used weapon and auto-select it for the player on respawn? I hate misusing my limited supply of Ions(?) because of this.

Normally you are more or less constantly switching between weapons anyhow, but I agree it would be better to have the main laser show up as the active weapon when you respawn. (The Ions will still be there when you cycle weapons, though.)
There is no way to press a button (or select a weapon) via pog.
I dunno yet why the Ions are the first in the 'row' of selectable weapons or what governs the order they are in. If anyone (Shane?) knows how to control this please speak up.
I do know: It doesn't matter which position they have in the ships ini file.

There is no limit on ammo for the Ions, it just takes a couple of seconds to re-charge them. The only exception is the bug where your weapon can get "jammed" as described here:
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1677
I understood it was agreed to leave it like that because it's "occupational hazzard" for Tie/Int pilots.

<font size="1">(Reprinted from another post)</font id="size1">
I suggest getting rid of fighter-to-fighter missile weapons. They are annoying because, really, they have to destroy you in one hit (or they would have no value against other targets). And not once, in all three original movies, did anyone ever shoot down another craft with missiles. Despite what anyone may say to the contrary, proton torpedoes have only ever been used against stationary targets. And I had never even heard the term concussion missiles until the SW RPG came out. I suggest making the fighter torpedoes more assault oriented than dog-fight oriented.

I agree that we don't want the game to be dominated by missiles.

I don't agree, that they should be one hit destruction, becuase that would forbid the strategic use of missiles.
The Magpuls missiles are disruptors, that do relativly little damage. They are the only really effective means an A-Wing has to be sucessfull agains the Tie/Int (to compensate the advantage of it's Ions)
The goal for the "concussion missile" is to knock the pilot off course and make him loose his target lock (without destroying him).

We can give the Protons lower manouverability, so they are easier to dodge but if you just sit still, you'll still get killed

The little antifighter missiles only do very limited damage (5-8% hitpoints) but are strategically usefull to soften up an attacking wing of fighters at longer range, or hit fleeing enemies.

The seeker Torpedeos are way too powerfull and the only real one hit destruction missile in the game. I guess we could remove them completly, but you do need something in the coop botmatches.

All the Tie Fighter and X-Wing games had missiles where they were used a lot against the Tie fighters, Tie/ints and gunboats

The idea here is: Players will soon realize that missiles are not a good option for dogfighting and revert to using them strategically

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 9 months ago #10922 by Second Chance

Using the narrower FOV, isn't an option. (see the other thread)

Yes it is. (see the other thread)

The fire position as seen from the outside probably won't be noticable but the pilots view should be a lot better.

Yeah, you're probably right. I can move them if they give you any trouble.

The fire rate of the 2 lasers are 5 shots per sec. and 4 shots per sec. Are you getting roughly that?

Blech [xx(], it's hard to tell with the crappy frame-rates I'm getting. But they're probably fine.

Which ship was firing at you when this happened? Were you perhaps taking damage from Station fire?

Could be, it's hard to tell in the heat of combat [8D]. But, like I said, I didn't get any indication that I was being hit. Does that sound weird to you? Could I be having a problem with my sound?

This has nothing to do with weapons, but we can look at it here too.

Damn, busted again. [}:)] You're right, I don't know what I was thinking exactly when I put that here.

Lol, you don't have to fly into the explosion, you can dodge it.

Not when you're at top speed and it happens right in front of you. And of course you shouldn't be able to dodge those, it's part of the excitement. I would just prefer not to be half destroyed when I do.

I dunno yet why the Ions are the first in the 'row' of selectable weapons or what governs the order they are in.

Alphabetical???

There is no limit on ammo for the Ions, it just takes a couple of seconds to re-charge them.

LOL. You know, I didn't know that. That's what I get for missing meetings. :D

I understood it was agreed to leave it like that because it's "occupational hazzard" for Tie/Int pilots.

No, that's cool. I didn't mean to suggest changing anything about the Ions.

The goal for the "concussion missile" is to knock the pilot off course and make him loose his target lock (without destroying him).

Very cool! I did not know that.

We can give the Protons lower manouverability, so they are easier to dodge but if you just sit still, you'll still get killed

Hey, good thinking!

Everything else sounds good. Well, this was pretty productive. :)

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 9 months ago #10990 by Second Chance
Well, I've discovered why I keep mysteriously dying. The weapon impacts from stations don't make any noise when they hit you. So I just don't know when I'm being hit. Also, I keep getting knocked around by what I assume are the "concussion missiles," but they too don't make any noise when they hit. This is very annoying, can we get this fixed soon?

On another note, I had an idea for the Ion Cannons. Is there any way anyone can think of to make them secondary weapons. That would make it a lot easier when flying the Tie Interceptor. It would also prevent the Ions from automatically being selected when you spawn. Anyone know if the weapons are hardcoded as primary or secondary?

More
19 years 9 months ago #10994 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Second Chance

Well, I've discovered why I keep mysteriously dying. The weapon impacts from stations don't make any noise when they hit you. So I just don't know when I'm being hit. Also, I keep getting knocked around by what I assume are the "concussion missiles," but they too don't make any noise when they hit. This is very annoying, can we get this fixed soon?

The bug with the station bolts is only intermittant and depends on several things. I'll fix it as best I can as soon as possible.
You should definatly hear the missile explosions. I think your current problems and mysterious deaths are primarily the latency issue with your network network card.

On another note, I had an idea for the Ion Cannons. Is there any way anyone can think of to make them secondary weapons. That would make it a lot easier when flying the Tie Interceptor. It would also prevent the Ions from automatically being selected when you spawn. Anyone know if the weapons are hardcoded as primary or secondary?

It is hardcoded. depending on the weapon class: icCannon and icSlugthrower are primary. The secondaries are icRocket and icSimTrackingMissile.
I'll try to change the position so it's not selected when you spawn. But!; You'll still just have to get used to it being there. Most players cycle through thier weapons constantly and you will always run into it somewheres along the line, no matter which position it is in.
The same issue is on the B-Wing with the "energy cannon" you can't use that against fighters but it is still in the weapon cycle! It will also be something to get accustomed to on the B-Wing version that has the Ions too.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 9 months ago #11006 by Second Chance

I think your current problems and mysterious deaths are primarily the latency issue with your network network card.

Ok, I'll buy that.

That's fine about the Ions. I make use of the billions of buttons on my stick and was just trying (as always) to make things easier for me. ;)