Mission design

More
19 years 10 months ago #18121 by Second Chance
Mission design was created by Second Chance
I don't know if this subject is open for discussion or not, but has anyone thought of posting in the Mission Developement forum and asking what types of Star Wars missions people would like to see? Just a thought.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10437 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Mission design
Good idea, but we need to do some concept work first so we are sure of what kind of missions we can do and how complicated they can be.

I haven't implimented a Gui option to allow the player to select a mission scenario instead of a standard mp game yet. (Primarily due to my horror of GUI coding). Roi ? :D

I have a mission tracker concept, that uses flux.ini to track mission states and save them but it isn't tested yet.

I also have an event controller concept that transmits the mission state to other clients as they join (for coop missions) but it isn't tested yet either.

Imo, we need to finalize the primary game functionality first because mission scripts will run on top of the basic game script.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 10 months ago #10439 by Roi Danton
Replied by Roi Danton on topic Mission design

Originally posted by MajorTom

I haven't implimented a Gui option to allow the player to select a mission scenario instead of a standard mp game yet. (Primarily due to my horror of GUI coding). Roi ? :D

So there could be the Option "Scenario" added to the >Host Session< Menu on the first button row and the scenarios could be added like the Maps in the other scenarios on the second button row? (really hard to say w/o sources ;) )

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

buda5.firstones.com

More
19 years 10 months ago #10448 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Roi Danton

So there could be the Option "Scenario" added to the >Host Session< Menu on the first button row and the scenarios could be added like the Maps in the other scenarios on the second button row? (really hard to say w/o sources ;) )

My plan was /is:
Since missions are a client orientated function they would be put in that new box that now says "name and ship ok?" Thats why that box is so big (the original iNetworkgui.pkg doesn't have that box).

Missions would be offered based on the players mission tracker values in his flux.ini and then the map and game package would be set automatically when the player presses the host session button.

The text for the button would be changed by pog so it says "start mission" instead of "host session" if a mission scenario was selected previously.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10464 by Roi Danton
Replied by Roi Danton on topic Mission design
So you want to include the Scenario selection in the box that already contains the button "Ready"?! And the selection will be with the same buttons like the ship selection? Thats fine.
When there are more ships or scenarios we could use scrolling windows for them.

Originally posted by MajorTom

The text for the button would be changed by pog so it says "start mission" instead of "host session" if a mission scenario was selected previously.

Yes, standard way. Storing in GlobalString -> schedule loop in seperate task for determining which button is pressed (if i.e. 0, GS = "Host Session"), switch to set the selected scenario.

buda5.firstones.com

buda5.firstones.com

More
19 years 10 months ago #10467 by MajorTom
Yep, :D

Thats about how I planned it.

I don't think we'll have a problem with doing it like that.