Disaster strikes the B-Wing

More
19 years 11 months ago #18089 by Second Chance
Well, sorry guys. The B-Wing will be delayed slightly. Like a dumb-ass I exported the model parts facing the wrong direction. Since I don't want to have to go back and resurface each part, I'm going to try to just rotate the polys in place. That should do it, but it'll still take some time.

I also may be scrapping and restarting the Star Destroyer. When I went back to work on it I realized that I had learned so much from building the fighter models, that I think I can make a much better job of it now. But I have to look more closely at the structure of the actual SD, maybe I won't have to scrap it all, just the "buildings" on top of the hull and the engine area.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 11 months ago #10078 by Second Chance
Ok, we're ok. My idea of rotating the polys worked. I still had to make all new LODs, though. But everything's done now, and the files are on the way to MajorTom.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 11 months ago #10082 by MajorTom
Thanks, I got em!

I'll get it in the game asap!

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 10 months ago #10156 by MajorTom
Ok, the B-Wing is in the game:

First, most important, the pivot point (where the target lock is) is exactly on the very thinnest part of the hull. that makes it very hard to hit. You can only hit the darn thing from the side. If it is moving, less than 3% of the head on (or straight from aft) shots hit it. [V]

Can you somehow move the pivot point up the the thicker part below the pod?

When you do the animation please put a null for the sound node in the models setup scene. Sometimes you get lucky, so I was able to cut and paste the null from the A-Wing, but that needs to be replaced with something more professional. If you want, you can even put two in it (look at the old_destroyer setup scene), that would make it sound even cooler.

There is no shield null. Does the B-Wing normally have shields? If yes we can put the shield on the podgun_big. The LDA works very well on this model from there.

btw, Tarcoon has already fallen in love with her. She's a really nice ship, you'll like her too.[^]

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 10 months ago #10186 by Second Chance

First, most important, the pivot point (where the target lock is) is exactly on the very thinnest part of the hull.

Wow! That's wierd! Where does the model rotate to pitch? The pivot point of the model should be located right between the wings. I'll have a look at it.

When you do the animation please put a null for the sound node in the models setup scene.

Sure. I left out a few things so I could get it to you faster.

There is no shield null.

Whoa! Didn't mean to leave those out, sorry.

I'll fix up the setup and avatar files as soon as I can. Sorry about the problems. I'm glad you guys like her though :D.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10187 by Second Chance
Ok, I had a look at the B-Wing in-game. The pivot point is exactly where it should be, between the wings at the center of mass. The ship needs to pivot here or it will look quite bizarre. It's no thinner than the A-Wing or the X-Wing hulls at that point so it shouldn't be any worse than shooting at them. In fact, the B-Wing is considerably larger than any of the other ships so far (except the falcon), so I don't know why there would be any problems shooting at it. I didn't have any trouble destroying one.

btw - I like the idea of putting the shields on the gun pod. Very cool. It will make them an interesting target.