Glow channel info

More
20 years 3 weeks ago #9532 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Glow channel info
I've looked for the testball object, but it appears to have been the victim of one of my infamous hard-drive cleanups.

So I've been attempting to do it again. But with no success. I can't seem to get even the pulse glows to work.

Let's put our heads together to find a solution.
The surface I'm attempting to 'glow' is named reactor_fins. It has luminosity value of 65% applied to it. Here's the attempts I've tried:

Naming the surface:

reactor_fins<glow channel=pulse1>
reactor_fins <glow channel=pulse1>
reactor_fins<glow channel=pulse2>
<glow channel=pulse1>
<glow channel=pulse2>
<glow>
fins<glow channel=glow>
<glow channel=glow>
reactor_fins <glow channel=?(1.0)>

And still no luck. What have you tried?

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 3 days ago #9831 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Glow channel info
I just kind of stumbled on the technique for getting textures to glow. (sorry to post if this has already been solved).

A glowing surface requires two textures, one for the surface, and one as the luminosity map. The luminosity map will define the shape and color of the glow.

The surface name needs to end with the command " <glow channel=pulse1>" (there are a few possible things the glow channel can equal, see the graphic SDK.

In LW Layout, load your object, open the surface view, and find the glow surface. Add the base texture. Just below that is a Luminosity line. Hit the little T button to select your glow map texture. Then set the luminosity value to 100%.

Save the object the surface is attached to (from layout). Then convert to a PSO.

A good example to examine is the LOR platform. It has several glowing sections, especially the bridge area. You can see the glow map seperated from the underlying texture map (that was the important clue).

Oh, and you can see the glow channel options that PS used by hex editing the existing *.PSO files. The PSO files are actually in amiga *.IFF data format, should anyone have time to write a converter. There are public domain *.IFF file read/write routines out there.

-Gtrout

More
20 years 6 hours ago #9849 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Glow channel info
Thanks GTrout. I've added this info into my tutorial on getting non-lw models into EoC (with credit to you, of course).

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
20 years 6 hours ago #9850 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Glow channel info
no credit needed, just glad to see more great models added to the game. Nice tutorial btw. The texturing and LOD pieces seem great advice to anyone - lightwave user or no. (at least from a concept viewpoint).

-Gtrout

More
20 years 5 hours ago #9851 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Glow channel info
Thanks :). I'm glad you liked it, and I'm glad you commented on it! For some reason, reading your comments made me realise that I left out the (very important) part about cropping the painting templates so the final textures fit properly.

no credit needed,. . .

I like to give credit where credit is due, even if just to promote the names of community members who contribute. (I get all giddy when I read my name in someone else's posts :p)

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4