How PS put so much detail into the models.

More
20 years 3 months ago #17894 by Shane
Hey guys. In a post on the Newtek forums Craig A Clark gave me some information on how PS managed to get such detail into the models while keeping such a low poly count.

The thread is located here:

vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread . ... dependence

Here's the relevent part:

<font color="black">"The way the textures were doen on the iwar games was simple. All the models were first built as full hi-def models for use in the intro movies and mission specific cut scenes. Low poly models were then built with matching layers, and UV's assigned. An in house tool then created render scenes that LW could use to render out 'grabs' of the hi-def model in such a way as to aloow the grabs to be put on a texture page to match the UV layout of the real-time model. So all the bump mapping and crevices had rendered shadows acquired from the hi-defs. Some time after of course Micriwave came along which essentially does the same sort of thing.

Cheers!

P.s. Glad you liked the CNV301, I actually built that in the 4 days before my interview at Particle Systems (now Argonaut Sheffield) so as to have some 'relevant' portfolio material to show"
-CAClark
</font id="black">

I did some research on the MicroWave plugin. It still exists, but cost $500 (US). However, there is a plugin which is supposed to do the same thing for free. It's located at:

amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/normalmaps.html

I haven't tried it out yet, but thought I'd post the info.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8451 by jumbo
Ah... so they did something like this. www.crytek.com/polybump/index.php?sx=polybump

Jumbo

<font color=gold>[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id=gold>
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.

<font color="gold">[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id="gold">
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
<b>It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.</b>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.