Speech problem! (I know, I've read the FAQs!)

More
19 years 4 months ago #18313 by Xeller
Okay, so I've installed the ADMCP codec, just like it says in the tech FAQ. I've even checked in the registry to make sure it was actually recognized by windows. I even dissocated the .wav file type from any of my usual media players (winamp, WMP, etc.) so that everything in the speech folder isn't being "stolen" by any other program. But still, I can't hear ANY voices in the game.

My computer exceeds all requirements, and all drivers are up-to-date. The only possible problem I can think of is that I have Integrated Sound instead of having a sound card, but I can still listen to the speech files outside of EoC. So what gives? I'm all out of ideas here, because I've even gone as far as uninstalling the audio codecs and reinstalling them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago #12052 by Tarcoon
First of all: check options/sound ingame.

There is a switch for speech.

Assuming you hear music and effects...

There is no safe distance

There is no safe distance

More
19 years 4 months ago #12056 by Xeller
Yeah, I hear everything else but the sound.
I don't see this switch you're talking about... Is it somewhere else?

Also, I've tried a bunch of the solutions listed on these forums, including converting the entire speech folder to PCM format. That didn't work, and it didn't work with mp3 format either. With MP3 format though, I managed to get some scratching sounds at the dialogue...

More
19 years 4 months ago #12066 by MajorTom
The speech files are .wav mono, 22khz, ADPCM and the music is mp3, stereo, 44khz.

It sounds like your integrated sound card is playing stereo but not mono or maybe the mono channel isn't working for some reason?

Out of curiosity, if you go into <Your Eoc Directory> /streams/audio/speech and double click one of the speech files, which media player pops up? (on my system the windows media player pops up)

You can also (if you use XP) double click on the resource.zip folder, open audio/gui and and double click on the sounds there to see if they play for you (they are also .wav, some stereo and some mono but have a different bit rate). You can see if the sound is mono or stereo by right clicking on the file, select properties and then select the file data tab.

(If you don't have XP you'll have to extract the resource.zip somewheres else (outside of the EOC directory) to make the tests.)

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 4 months ago #12070 by Xeller
I dissociated the .wav file type earlier to make it so that I actually had to choose a program each time I opened one of these. I did this because I thought maybe one of my other media players were "stealing" those files away from EoC. I switched the default media player back to windows media player for the test.

As for the stuff in the resource/audio/gui fles, I discovered something weird. I guess it's probably because I have DB Poweramp installed, but when it showe me the file summary, it showed the file format as PCM, rather than ADPCM as I know they should be in.

Anyways, all of them played correctly, including the files in mono. This is starting to get quite frusterating...

More
19 years 4 months ago #12071 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Xeller

As for the stuff in the resource/audio/gui fles, I discovered something weird. I guess it's probably because I have DB Poweramp installed, but when it showe me the file summary, it showed the file format as PCM, rather than ADPCM as I know they should be in.

Those files are PCM and should be, because they are in the compressed folder (zipped).
AFIK only the ones in Streams/audio/speech are in ADPCM.

The only thing else I could think of; is your speaker arrangement (stereo/headset/2 speakers or 4) set correctly and are they all connected right?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site