I-war games

More
20 years 1 month ago #17988 by DeadMeat
I-war games was created by DeadMeat
Hi guys,

Yes I am the NOOB needing the combat tips on another thread!!

But I have been thinking, very dangerous I know, but I haven't seen any pre-EoC i-war games in the shops in the UK. Was i-war available in the UK or not??

If it is, anybody know where I could get it?

Thanks muchly

We are all DeadMeat flying, just waiting to be frozen!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 1 month ago #9250 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic I-war games
It's still possible to find I-War on Ebay, but it becomes more rare with every passing year.

However, you should note that you'd need either a legacy system (complete with Voodoo graphics card) or a glide wrapper to run the game in it's full glory.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 1 month ago #9293 by Stephen Robertson PS
Replied by Stephen Robertson PS on topic I-war games
I-War was originally published by Infogrames under the Ocean label in 1997 in the UK and Europe.

Then it was re-released in 1998 with 3Dfx support as Independence War in the US, the name change was necessary due to Atari (Then owned by Hasbro) owning the I-War name (It was a Jaguar game).

Then in 1999 came Independence War Deluxe / Special Edition (Which I was the Project Lead on), which was released in Europe and the US (confusingly under two different names again, because 'Deluxe' doesn't apparently mean anything in French, so Special Edition was used in Europe and Deluxe Edition in the US).

In 2001 Independence War 2 was released, but again there was a difference in title. In Europe the game's official title "Edge Of Chaos" was used as the primary title as the Independence War name wasn't well known in Europe, while in the US "Independence War 2" was the main name because Independence War was fairly well known over there.

Hope that makes everything clear!

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
I-War series co-designer.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson

More
20 years 1 month ago #9294 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic I-war games
Stephen, how long did it take to create EoC? Did you start immediately from I-War Deluxe, or were there other projects in-between?

For that matter, how long did it take to develop Independence War? Was there ever a time when it looked like the game would be cancelled?

The credits are quite lengthy; was there a 'core-team' which did the majority of the design? Or was it a full-group effort?

Were any post-mortums written on either game? I've looked, but never found any.

(Red_Hex would say I'm obsessed (:D), but I'm fascinated by complexity and quality of I-War and EoC.)

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 1 month ago #9312 by Stephen Robertson PS
Replied by Stephen Robertson PS on topic I-war games
The original I-War took about 4 years from first conception. The team that created it consisted of only 6 people (very talented people!).

Independence War (the US update) probably took another 9 months to a year, as all the graphics were updated for 3Dfx cards.

Independence War 2 started pre-development just after Independence War was released in the states, and Independence War Deluxe (specifically the Defiance Campaign, which I project led) started fairly soon after that.

The Defiance campaign was a short project - about 9 months from start to finish. We had a core team of 4 people, but at least 10 others helped with movies and briefing animations.

I-War 2 took about 3 years all told, and probably had a team of 20- 30 working on it for most of that time.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson

More
20 years 1 month ago #9314 by DeadMeat
Replied by DeadMeat on topic I-war games
Stephen,

Going back to my previous question about the orignal i-war in the UK, was Deluxe available in the UK at all? Is it available now or would I have to get it 2nd hand off e-bay, say?

We are all DeadMeat flying, just waiting to be frozen!