Dynamic Keybinder

More
7 years 11 months ago #20195 by Chessking
Dynamic Keybinder was created by Chessking
My programming project for May is to create a new keybinder for EOC that will detect which key is being pressed and format the file for you. You will no longer need to know the title of every key, and the syntax of multiple keys, etc. This program will not be run inside EOC, but through an HTML file, which will print the .ini file for you.

The four stages of this project are:
1. Create a keyboard keybinder for EOC 2-D
2. Create a keyboard keybinder for Edge of Chaos
3. Add a joystick keybinder to EOC 2-D
4. Add a joystick keybinder for Edge of Chaos

I have already completed objective 1, and I like it.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #20196 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic Dynamic Keybinder
I just want to emphasize that many mods have their own key titles. You will have to include those for your keybinder to be compatible with many EoC mods.
Apart from that, this sounds great! I've heard of more than one person who got annoyed by the difficulty of setting keybinds, and this could solve that. :)

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
7 years 11 months ago #20197 by Chessking
Replied by Chessking on topic Dynamic Keybinder
Good point. To do this, I will need to know which mods have custom keybinds. The ones I know of are Torn Stars, Gold Rush, and maybe uniGUI and uniGUI related mods like Future Trader. This will probably be implemented with a checklist on the side. Select which mods are currently installed, (or keybind them all before hand, I don't think this will break anything) and fill out the commands.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
7 years 11 months ago #20198 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic Dynamic Keybinder
There's also iFleet, and I-War2 Unleashed. And my mods/modules, which you won't have to worry about yet. Probably you can just hit the mods that you know have keybinds for sure, and if someone has an additional one, they can just whine in this thread. ;)

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
7 years 11 months ago #20199 by Chessking

Probably you can just hit the mods that you know have keybinds for sure, and if someone has an additional one, they can just whine in this thread. ;)

My thoughts exactly. I will do Torn Stars for sure.

Storm Petrel

More
7 years 10 months ago #20202 by Chessking
I have been looking at the existing keybinders a little, and I noticed something interesting. NeoGriever's keybinder includes a button that adds cheat keys into the config. These are developer tools that allow you to jump to target, destroy target, damage self, etc. Now I understand why there is a cheat keys section in the config, populated only by ":-)"

Storm Petrel