System crash / email problems

More
19 years 9 months ago #18193 by MajorTom
Murphys Law hit me this afternoon.

One of my PCs started crashing regularily today and now I can't start it at all. (Not even in secured mode!). It is the one with my eMail on it (and the pog compiler setup). Meanwhile I've put a spare Hdd in it temporarily and have backed up everything (had to use DOS). I'll probly get it fixed by tomorrow.

If anyone has sent me mail, please be patient.

@ Tarcoon, thanks for your mail.
Unfortunatly Tuesday doesn't look good for me. But I do have a good reason why not :D.
I'll reply to your mail you as soon as I can.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #11202 by Tarcoon
I'm glad to read this;)

There is no safe distance

There is no safe distance

More
19 years 8 months ago #11214 by MajorTom
Still not done! [V]
After spending most of the day trying to fix it, I've just started re-installing after reformatting.

You can't do a repair installation of WinME if you have Media Player 9 or IE6. There is a trick around that but it wasn't the whole problem. it kept crashing, without an error message, whenever the system was configuring itself. Somehow Norton Antivirus was also screwed up. Deinstalling it didn't help and it continued to frabricate crashes.

Wow, that must have been a really mean virus/trojan. [:(]

More
19 years 8 months ago #11224 by Roi Danton

Originally posted by MajorTom

Wow, that must have been a really mean virus/trojan. [:(]

It sounds that this could also be a Hardware problem that only is occuring in windows and not in DOS (higher resolution, needed HDD space or smthg)?

Last week the main HDD of my computer got completely damaged, but it crashed not suddenly, the system hang up several times before (but restarting fixed it and it worked for several hours again until the next crash).
Then windows didn't started (hangs up on the WinXP start screen) and after many tryings with different hardware settings the system didn't found an OS on it.
Luckily I had an automatically generated image of the important partitions of the main HDD.

So maybe your HDD is damaged partly or another component (graphic card on higher resolution than DOS??) doesn't work properly. Or the IDE controller on your Mainboards could be the prob (try the IDE2 controller) ...

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

More
19 years 8 months ago #11225 by MajorTom
I tried a different Vid card, different RAM, Keyboard, mouse and also took the sound card out of the case. The HDD also ran well as a slave in 2 other PCs. It may turn out to be a HW problem but if so must be the motherboard itself.

Fortunatly nothing is lost, and meanwhile I have an alternate system and my email running. I'll need a couple more days to reinstall the FTP proggy, Pog editor, and other stuff in order to get a new Dev. version of the mod uploaded. Should be done by the weekend, though.

(I hate this kind of stuff, but it is apparently why we are impelled to call some things we experience "real life")

More
19 years 8 months ago #11245 by Second Chance
Holy cow! MajorTom, you're a code slinger and you use winME?! Wow, you're brave!

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4